Caines Head State Recreation Area preserves Fort McGilvray, an artillery fort that helped protect Resurrection Bay during WWII. The fort is accessible by trail from Seward (trips must be timed with the tides) or boat.
- August 28, 1903
- The first colonial settlers arrive in Seward.1
- July 1941
- The U.S. Army occupies Seward, a critical wartime asset; Caines Head is identified as a strategic defense point in Resurrection Bay.
- July 1942
- After the attack on Pearl Harbor and the Japanese invasion of the Aleutian Islands, the U.S. Army increases fortifications on Caines Head.
- March 25, 1943
- The fortifications are named Fort McGilvray.
- April 7, 1944
- The fort is abandoned as advances in the war effort make it obsolete.
- March 4, 1947
- The battery is dismantled.
- May 1971
- The area is designated Caines Head Recreation Area to protect the remains of the fort.